What Numbers Can Be Added to or Multiplied by Themselves to Get the Same Result?

• Thread starter YesIam
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing numbers that can be added to and multiplied by themselves, resulting in the same answer. The only two numbers that satisfy this property are 2 and 0, but the OP believes there may be other numbers that could also work. They also mention a similar problem in a book from 1943 and challenge the idea of there being only two possible answers. The OP then suggests another mathematical problem for the other person to try.
YesIam
It may be in here, I don't know...but how many other numbers can you think of that can be added to or multiplied by itself and get the same answer such as 2 and 0? There are others.

Physics news on Phys.org
Numbers that can be added to and multiplied by themselves giving the same answer:

Define the number x. Then, what you're looking for is every x that satisfies:

[tex]x+x = x*x[/tex]

So...

[tex]2x=x^2[/tex]

[tex]x^2 - 2x = x (x-2) = 0[/tex]

Thus, the only two numbers that satisfy this property are 2 and 0.

Well Char, I am sorry but this is the regular 'proof' that some people give and really think that it has to be some kind of proof because they have read it somewhere. I try to always be careful and not say 'always or never'...because if I do I realize that I will usually be wrong. Recall the movie, NEVER SAY NEVER. and the reason for the name. If you just think about this for a minute, when you state something like you did, this means...this is it and nothing else can be true...I just know this is right...no one else can be right because 'I am right', etc. I believe you are working the problem backwards, even if it is a problem. Let's call it Math familiarization-you are not the first to jump to this conclusion and you will probably not be the last, and I can't help that. I first saw this in a book printed in 1943. I remember the date because years later I forgot the solution and had to research though publishers records and buy an 'out of print book'. I still remember the name of the book, the author, the publisher and year. But again, if you just state what you did and not think about anything else, I can't help that. But if you really put some time into reasoning, I think that 'maybe' you can come with some other numbers. When you think, "...only..." you are lost from the start. I would think that some good answers will come in...from some where. I will post another little Math thingie-see what you can do with this, okay.

Th OP is either missing information or forgot what the exersize was.

As a scientist, it is important for me to clarify that there are no "tricks" in mathematics. Addition and multiplication are fundamental operations that follow well-established rules and principles. In the case of 2 + 2, the answer will always be 4, regardless of any other numbers that may be added to or multiplied by itself.

Furthermore, the concept of numbers being added to or multiplied by itself and resulting in the same answer is known as a perfect square. In addition to 2 and 0, there are other numbers that can be added to or multiplied by itself and result in the same answer, such as 3 and 9, or 4 and 16.

It is important to understand that these are not tricks, but rather mathematical properties that can be explained and proven using mathematical principles. As a scientist, it is crucial to approach mathematics with a logical and evidence-based mindset, rather than seeking out “tricks” or shortcuts.

Related to What Numbers Can Be Added to or Multiplied by Themselves to Get the Same Result?

1. What is the trick to solving 2 + 2 math problems?

The trick to solving 2 + 2 math problems is to recognize that the answer is always 4. This is because 2 + 2 is a basic addition problem that follows the rules of mathematics, where adding two equal numbers always results in a larger number.

2. Are there any shortcuts or tricks to solving 2 + 2 math problems faster?

There are no shortcuts or tricks to solving 2 + 2 math problems faster. The only way to solve this problem is to understand the concept of addition and apply it correctly.

3. Can you use any other operations besides addition to solve 2 + 2 math problems?

No, 2 + 2 math problems can only be solved using addition. Other operations, such as subtraction, multiplication, or division, would change the problem and result in a different answer.

4. How can I check my answer to a 2 + 2 math problem?

You can check your answer by using mental math or a calculator. Simply add 2 + 2 and see if the answer is 4. If it is, then your original answer was correct.

5. Why do people refer to 2 + 2 math problems as a "trick"?

People often refer to 2 + 2 math problems as a "trick" because the answer is always 4, which can seem too simple or too good to be true. However, this is just a basic math concept that is easy to understand and solve, leading to the perception of it being a trick.